This 7-layer salad is Mickie's go-to summer salad. Perfect for summer picnics!
- 1 head romaine lettuce (coarsely chopped, divided)
- 1 cup frozen peas (divided)
- ½ red onion (finely diced, divided)
- 12 ounces bacon (cooked, crumbled and divided)
- 3 hard-boiled eggs (peeled, diced and divided)
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese (divided)
- 1 bunch green onions (thinly sliced, divided)
FOR THE DRESSING:
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
In a medium bowl, whisk together all of the dressing ingredients; set aside.
Place one-third of the lettuce in the bottom of a trifle dish. Top with one-third each of the peas, red onion, bacon, hard-boiled egg, cheese and green onions. Spread one-third of the dressing over the top.
Repeat layers again, ending with the dressing.
For the last set of layers, begin again with the lettuce, peas and red onion, then cover with the remaining dressing. Top the dressing with the bacon, hard-boiled egg, cheese and green onions. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving. Salad should be eaten the day it is assembled.